Contemporary Moves Beginners Curriculum
Module #1 - The foundation of Contemporary Dance technique
The focus of this module is to establish the foundations of contemporary dance technique. The exploration of technique will be divided into two categories - basic movement patterns & long dance phrases.On the theoretical side, in this module we will explore the ‘Technical Parameters Tool Kit’ an empirical system of self analysis that aims to help each student in the process of recognising failures and building the ability to self correct technical mistakes.
Detail breakdown of module 1:
Unit 1 (6 hours): Floor technique
Unit 2 (6 hours): Vertical traveling - spirals and slides
Unit 3 (6 hours): Spinal mechanics
Unit 4 (6 hours): Limbs Coordinations
Unit 5 (6 hours): Turns and spins
Module #2 - Movement Research
In the second module, we will use improvisation as a tool to sharpen our technical base and further explore movement possibilities. We will dive into the realm of technical scores as a way to cultivate problem solving attitude and physical independence.
We will be looking at topics such as alignment principles, rhythm, movement quality, musicality, spatial awareness and more.
Detail breakdown of module 2:
Unit 1 (7.5 hours): Dynamic alignment
Unit 2 (7.5 hours): Rhythm and musicality
Unit 3 (7.5 hours): Proprioception - dancing with the space
Unit 4 (7.5 hours): Movement qualities
Acceptance to the program is conditioned by having a personal interview with the Director of Movement Lab. A sense of commitment to the program and the group process will be evaluated and considered as the main factor for acceptance/rejection of an applicant.
To receive the Movement Lab Study Group certificate you need to:
- Attendance of at least 90% for modules 1+2 and 12 hours of module 3
- Send 2 videos for each module, documenting the materials you have learnt (solo and partner videos).
- Form a peer group and spend a minimum of 6 hours of practice together on the material of the program.
- Submit a final report on your experience in the program detailing what you have learnt and benefited from the program personally.
The Study Group certificate would support you in the following (in accordance with your own responsibility and self engagements):
- To integrate your body knowledge into your professional engagement in other fields of embodied work.
- To hold group sessions and teach private classes in the fields of contact improvisation and partner work.